Haven't you heard?
Fit is the new skinny!
And hallelujuah because skinny= not necessarily healthy but fit= healthy
Still not convinced? Well hopefully this will help.
- For every pound of muscle, you burn an additional 50 calories a day- replace 5lbs of fat with 5lbs of muscle and you are burning an extra 250 calories a day without doing much!
- Regular resistance training increases your Basal Metabolic Rate by 15%- which means even more calories burned!
- Muscle might weigh more than fat but it sure doesn't take up as much room as fat!- 5lbs of muscle is only 1/3 the size or less of 5lbs of fat!
- It can help reduce the risk of injury- having strong muscles, tendons & ligaments means they can withhold more stress. This will help out your cardio workouts!
- It helps prevent osteoporosis- it will reduce bone deterioration and increase bone mass.
- Resistance training greatly reduces the risk of overall health risks & disease- Studies have shown it greatly helps those with arthritis and can be just as effective as medicine in reducing pain. Can assist with glucose control with those with type 2 diabetes... and many other things.
- It will help with developing better body mechanics- not only will you look toned but it will also help with coordination, balance and your posture will get better! It will reduce your risk of falling by up to 40% which is a great benefit for when you get older.
- You will have more energy and a better mood- it increases endorphins which is your body's 'happy chemical' and also helps with depression, and helps promote a better nights sleep.
- You are never too old to start weight training!
- You will get all these benefits with just a minimum of two 20 minute sessions a week, research has shown.
- If you are a woman and looking to get that noticeable toned look, keep in mind we do not have as much testosterone has men, which is the muscle building hormone, so we have to work much harder to get noticeable muscles.
- Make sure you give yourself time to recover. Rest is an important part of muscle growth.
- There are more ways than just dumbbells to get toned. You can also use resistance bands and plyometrics (jump squats, jump lunges, ect.)
- And again women! Don't be afraid of the weights! You will not get bulky just beautiful and healthy!